Saturday, November 04, 2006


I just love taking pictures of clouds in the sky. There is no end to the variety and beauty of clouds and their various shapes, colors, weight, etc.

I took this photo out of the car window (parked of course) as we drove from Texas to Washington state to bring Amy and the grandkids back home. We had clear sunny skies all the way through 5 states! It was truly an experience I will never forget. There were so many striking "photo ops" that I had to be rationed on how many stops per day I could make to take pictures! We would have taken weeks, not days to get to Washington if I had had my way. It seemed like every 50 feet or so down the road another great mountain or cliff or sky would show itself and beg to be photographed. I did my best to get them all.

As far as composition, what struck me about this scene were the broad diagonal lines of the the clouds, as they drew my eye farther and farther into the scene toward the horizon. The S-shaped cloud was a bonus, because it broke up the straight lines of the clouds, and added some variety to the sky. Also, the windmill (another favorite subject) in the foreground gives an idea of the grand scale of the sky in the Western US.

I shot this with the Konica Minolta Dimage D5 on auto setting. No photoshop for this one, it is right from the camera. It was taken in New Mexico just before getting to Santa Fe. By the way, if you ever get the chance, visit Santa Fe! I had heard so many great things about the town, but none did justice to the city. the only thing I found lacking was parking! We got lucky and found a spot, but it was only two hours, and we had to leave and find another one.

I hope you enjoy this photo. I will be putting more pictures up as I get them ready.

No comments: