Sunday, October 22, 2006

Sunset photo on Alaska cruise


This sunset photo was taken on the second day of our Alaska cruise, this past summer. I had been given the task of taking a sunset or sunrise for my photography class.

I took the photo with a Konica Minolta Dimage Z5 camera on sunrise/sunset setting. I did not use a tripod, though I had one with me. I thought the color of the sky and the near-perfect clarity of the air would make a beautiful shot. The outcome was beyond my hopes.

The shot was taken from the balcony of our cabin, as I stood listening to the sounds and feeling the cool breeze on my face and arms. Alaska gets only 45 days of sunshine a year, and we got 4 out of 5 days with sun. What a miracle.

I did some cropping, but no Photoshop enhancements were done on this photo. It is pretty much just as it came from the camera. It is one of my favorites. My mentor/critic said, "Technically, it has great exposure and focus, along with an interesting composition. The color is just magnificent and a great representation of the possibilities in capturing a highlight in mother natures “paintings.” Great job in capturing a sunset scene." I hope you agree.

No comments: